Monday, January 24, 2011

I am riding RAGBRAI

I just sent my money in today so it is official. I am riding RAGBRAI.

What is RAGBRAI? It is The Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa. And I don't mean North to South. It starts somewhere along the Missouri River, ends somewhere along the Mississippi River, and lasts 7 days. This year will be the 39th annual ride.

I have never ridden in RAGBRAI before. In fact, I have never ridden in any multi-day bike ride before. Based on the descriptions I have read, it sounds like a mobile week-long party on wheels. I'm not necessarily riding it to party: I'm more interested in the challenge. But I'm sure my fellow riders will make it a fun and enjoyable experience.

Each year RAGBRAI accepts up to 10,000 bike riders. The route is around 500 miles so it averages about 70 miles a day (for 7 days). RAGBRAI is not a race: it is a ride for fun. You can take all day to arrive in the next town if you want.

The ride starts July 24. If conditions permit I plan to blog about my trip every day during the ride. Hopefully I will even have a chance to post a few pictures.

Why would I want to do something this crazy? Well, I will be celebrating something. Those of you who know me will probably know what I'm celebrating. In the meantime, I need to ride some more so that I will be ready.

No comments: